With the prevalence of coronary artery disease (CAD), hypertension (HTN), congestive heart failure (CHF) and other cardiac disorders and medical diagnosis, there are many disease specific instructions that you may get from your doctor. Some basic heart healthy instructions may include:
- monitoring sodium intake (may cause swelling (edema)) HINT: may need to rinse vegetables from can before cooking & read food labels
- monitoring fluid intake (especially with CHF) HINT: 6 to 8 cups recommended daily otherwise to avoid dehydration
- at least 30 minutes aerobic exercise at least three times a week (unless contraindicated)
- opt to consume baked foods over fried foods at times to decrease cholesterol intake and decrease chance of atherosclerosis (hardening of arteries)
- Keep doctor appointments and take medication as prescribed!