Question

Heart Failure Symptoms

Is deep indentation on my leg an indication of heart failure?

• AMediGuard answered
    The deep indentation on your leg that you are describing may be a condition called pitting edema. In addition the smothering feeling and the phlegm may be signs that the furosemide is not enough to help pull the excess fluid out of your body at this time. These can all be signs or symptoms that your heart failure is becoming worse. You need to make an appointment with your physician as soon as possible. It is common in worsening heart failure to almost feel like you are drowning from within. This does not need to be a permanent feeling. You need to see your doctor as quickly as you can. If you are having extreme difficulty breathing and you cannot get to see the doctor right away you need to go to the nearest hospital emergency room so that they can more aggressively treat your symptoms. Once your symptoms are more under control you could ask your physician for a referral to a dietician. Simple dietary changes can help to keep heart failure under better control."
What should I watch out for when monitoring my heart failure?