Question

Heart Disease

What are natural ways to prevent heart disease?

• AJacob Teitelbaum, Integrative Medicine, answered
    Researchers at the University of Scranton tested nine different kinds of raw and roasted nuts and two types of peanuts for the ability of their polyphenols (powerful antioxidants) to stop the oxidation of LDL, the process that triggers artery-clogging plaque. The #1 nut in both the roasted and raw categories: the walnut. Brazil nuts took second in both categories. Pecans, raw pistachios and roasted hazelnuts were powerful, too. Try to eat a handful or two of nuts a day. And don't worry about weight gain; studies consistently show nuts are so satisfying a snack that those who eat them regularly don't tend to put on weight.

There's also heartening news for women who enjoy the heart-protecting power of alcohol but worry about its possible role in breast cancer. In a study on premenopausal women, researchers from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles found that red wine is a nutritional aromatase inhibitor. It stops the conversion of free testosterone into estrogen, a risk factor for breast cancer. In other words, drinking red wine in moderation (one drink a day for women) may not pose a cancer risk. "For those who consume wine, I would suggest red wine," said the study leader in an interview. "For those who drink other alcoholic drinks, I would suggest switching to red wine."

Finally, a new study of more than 29,000 people from 52 countries shows what many studies have already shown: exercise has the power to reduce the risk of heart attacks—in this study, by up to 24%.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
Can drinking wine lower my risk for heart disease?