Question

Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What color should my gums be?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    If you have healthy gums, they should be pale pink in color, but your racial makeup may be a factor in the color of your gums and make them appear darker. If you have darker skin, your gums also tend to be darker making uniformity of color important. As reddening and swelling of your gums may be a sign of infection or disease, contact your dentist immediately.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • Healthy gums are usually pink in color. In the early stage of periodontal (gum) disease, called gingivitis, the gums can become red, swollen and bleed easily. At this stage, the disease is still reversible and can usually be eliminated by daily brushing and flossing.

It is possible to have periodontal disease and have no warning signs, such as red or inflamed gums. That is one reason why regular dental checkups and periodontal examinations are very important. Treatment methods depend upon the type of disease and how far the condition has progressed. Good oral hygiene at home is essential to help keep periodontal disease from becoming more serious or recurring.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How do I know my gums are healthy?