Question

Healthy Teeth & Mouth

How should I take care of my gums after gum graft surgery?

• If you have a gum graft (surgery for advanced gum recession), your dentist will tell you how to care for your gums. This may include using a special mouth rinse or changing what you eat. A bandage or dressing may be placed over the graft to help it heal.

Since gum grafts are a kind of surgery, the area may be tender or sore and it may swell. Most patients can resume their normal routine the next day. However, you may need to avoid chewing where the surgery was done for some time, up to a week or two.

• The success of the tissue graft depends on several things. Here are some things you can do after surgery to help your gums heal:
    • Avoid smoking or using any kind of tobacco.
    • Do not drink alcohol.
    • Eat a well-balanced diet so your body gets all the nutrients it needs.
    There are other things that can slow down healing. These include clenching or grinding the teeth, diet or nutrition problems, and some medications or medical conditions. Be sure to tell your dentist if any of these things apply to you.

After your gums have healed from surgery, keep your teeth and gums healthy by brushing gently twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste. Also be sure to clean between teeth once a day with floss or another interdental cleaner.

Your dentist may provide instructions on additional cleaning methods or may recommend oral hygiene products to use at home. Look for products that display the American Dental Association's (ADA) Seal of Acceptance. This means that a product has met the ADA's standards for safety and effectiveness.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Can gums that have receded grow back?