Question

Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What do healthy gums look like?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    Healthy gums should cover the roots of your teeth and hold your teeth firmly in place. They should not bleed, even when you brush your teeth and gums or eat hard food. They should show no signs of swelling or sores. Talk to your dentist if you notice any changes in the shape or color of your gums, or if one section of your gums looks noticeably different from another section.
  • Normal, healthy gums help anchor teeth firmly in place. If your gums are red, tender or swollen, it could be an indicator of periodontal disease, an infection of these tissues that support your teeth. There are several warning signs that can signal a problem:

• Gums that bleed easily
    • Red, swollen, tender gums
    • Gums that have pulled away from the teeth
    • Persistent bad breath or bad taste
    • Permanent teeth that are loose or separating
    • Any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
    • Any change in the fit of partial dentures

If you have any of these symptoms, schedule a visit with your dentist.

• AJonathan B. Levine, DMD, Dentist, answered
    Gums should be pink and stippled, very tight and bound down. They should have little indents in them. Those indents signify a certain amount of health. Consider your gums' relationship to your teeth to be like skin over bones. If you don't nurture them with proper flossing and brushing, they will eventually turn on you. Gums do not take kindly to neglect.
What happens if I don't take care of my gums?