Question

Healthy Teeth & Mouth

Can gums that have receded grow back?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentistry, answered on behalf of Colgate
    When your gums recede or pull away from your tooth because of gum disease, they usually will not grow back naturally. When you have bacteria in the plaque around your teeth (gingivitis), this can lead to inflammation of the gums that causes your gums to recede. If untreated, this condition can lead to more advanced inflammation that can cause your gums to pull away so much that spaces or pockets are formed.

If your gums are only mildly receded, your dentist may be able to treat your gums by a deep cleaning, also called tooth scaling and root planing. In this cleaning, tartar and plaque that have built up below the gum line is removed and the exposed root area is smoothed. If the pockets remain deep and inflamed after this treatment, surgery may be the only solution to put the gums back into place, securely around the tooth.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Is it normal for most of my gums to recede as I age?