Here are some tips to improve your sleep:
- Avoid caffeine before bedtime (coffees, teas, sodas, etc.).
- Avoid alcohol; while initially it may make you feel sleepy, your body actually sees alcohol as a stimulant, and it may keep you awake through the night as opposed to helping you sleep.
- Keep the same schedule for going to bed and waking up -- even on your days off.
- Wear dark, polarized sunglasses to block out the sunlight on your way home if your shift ends during the day. Polarized sunglasses provide an extra layer of protection from UV rays that trigger the secretion of certain neurotransmitters that promote a state of wakefulness.
- Create a quiet sleep environment -- use an eye mask and ear plugs.