As a delicious alternative to a whole meatloaf, these mini versions are full of flavor, but low in carbs. Prepared with lean ground beef and whole grain bread crumbs, then seasoned with Worcestershire sauce and fresh thyme, Baby Meatloaves are also simple enough to make for a weeknight meal.
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 lb lean ground beef (10% fat)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup tomato sauce, low sodium, no sugar added, divided
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup whole grain bread crumbs
1/8 tsp salt (optional)
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup unsweetened or reduced sugar ketchup
1 medium garlic clove, pressed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In large bowl, with hands, mix olive oil, onions, thyme, beef, beaten egg, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, tomato paste, bread crumbs, garlic, pepper, and salt, if desired.
- Coat roasting pan with cooking spray. Divide meat mixture into four portions. Form into loaves. Place on prepared roasting pan. Bake 20 minutes.
- While loaves are baking, in small saucepan, heat ketchup and remaining tomato sauce. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove roasting pan from oven. Brush tomato-ketchup mixture over each meatloaf. Bake for 10 more minutes until meat thermometer reads 140°F for medium rare or 160°F for well done.
- Remove from oven. Let rest for 5 minutes. Cut each loaf in half and serve.
Makes 8 Servings
Amount Per Serving
Note: Optional items are not included in nutritional facts.
Total Carbs 11.6g
Dietary Fiber 0.9g
Total Fat 8.9g
Saturated Fat 3.1g
Unsaturated Fat 5.8g