Here is a delicious low-carb recipe for Eggplant Parmesan. I guarantee that you won't miss the breading on the cutlets one little bit. One taste and you'll be sold!
Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan
- 2 firm medium eggplants (about 2 pounds)
- 2 quarts grapeseed oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 cups Basic Italian Tomato Sauce
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed & roughly chopped
TIP: I always have a few containers of my Basic Italian Tomato Sauce in the freezer. I just pull one out and defrost it. In addition, I use a deep fryer to fry the eggplant cutlets. It makes this process much less labor intensive. The recipe is delicious and if you are craving eggplant parmesan, I highly recommend trying it!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully cut eggplant lengthwise into very thin slices.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or deep fryer to about 360 degrees F.
- Fry 2 or 3 slices of eggplant at a time until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes.
- Drain the slices on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Continue until all the eggplant is fried and is drained well on paper towels.
- Spoon several tablespoons of the tomato sauce into a 9 X 13-inch casserole dish.
- Layer half the fried eggplant over the sauce.
- Spoon another thin layer of sauce over the eggplant, cover eggplant with half the mozzarella, then sprinkle with half the parmesan cheese.
- Layer the rest of the eggplant, the rest of the tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil.
- Bake until the cheese is bubbling and melted, about 40 minutes.
- Let the casserole cool for about 10 minutes, then cut into squares and serve.