Blueberry Walnut Tea Bread
Makes: 12 servings
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 40 min.
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup evaporated cane juice
- 1 tablespoon egg replacer powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup enriched soymilk
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9" by 5" loaf pan with olive oil.
2. Place apples in a medium bowl and toss with lemon juice. Add blueberries and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour with oat bran, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, blend applesauce with evaporated cane juice.
5. In a small bowl, whisk egg replacer powder with water until foamy. Add to applesauce mixture along with soymilk and vanilla.
6. Fold dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients, adding chopped apple mixture halfway through, stirring just until blended.
7. Scrape into prepared pan with a rubber spatula and sprinkle with walnuts. Bake 40 minutes, or until tester inserted comes out clean.