Question

Healthy Oral Hygiene

Are there options if I'm having trouble using dental floss?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    If you are having problems using dental floss, there are several options that may help. The waxed variety may glide through teeth easier, and floss holders can help you maneuver the floss. As an alternative, try a dental pick to clean between teeth.
  • If you are having trouble flossing with dental floss, talk to your dentist. It could be that you need to try another type of dental floss--waxed, unwaxed, thick, or comfort. If that's not the answer, your dentist may recommend that you try a different interdental cleaner such as a wood plaque remover, dental pick or pre-threaded flosser. If you find flossing difficult, don't give up. Your dentist can help you find a more comfortable solution to make sure you are able to clean between your teeth.
  • AYasaman Roland, Dentist, answered
    A really good water irrigator and electric toothbrush will be very beneficial.
  • ACarol Jahn, Dentist, answered
    Flossing is difficult for many people. Fortunately there are many easy and effective alternataives like floss holders/aids, toothpicks, or interdental brushes. Another proven product is the oral irrigator or water flosser. Three studies have shown it removes plaque and reduces bleeding as well as string floss.
How do I get the dental floss around my teeth?