Question

Healthy Oral Hygiene

How many times a day should I brush my teeth?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered

Nobody wants a scuzzy smile! In this video, dentist and Dr. Oz Show guest Jonathan B. Levine explains how often people should brush their teeth and how they should do it.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    In general, the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends brushing twice a day regardless of what kind of toothbrush you have. They also recommend that you use fluoride toothpaste when you brush your teeth. Approved dental products will have the ADA Seal of Acceptance. This seal shows that the product is safe and effective in tooth cleaning.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • For a healthy mouth and smile the ADA recommends you:

• Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled brush. The size and shape of your brush should fit your mouth allowing you to reach all areas easily.
    • Replace your toothbrush every three or four months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed. A worn toothbrush won’t do a good job of cleaning your teeth.
    • Make sure to use an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste.

Of course, brushing your teeth is only a part of a complete oral care routine. You should also make sure to:

• Clean between teeth daily with floss or an interdental cleaner. Tooth decay-causing bacteria still linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. This helps remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
    • Eat a balanced diet and limit between-meal snacks.
    • Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    The American Dental Association recommends brushing your teeth at least twice a day. Always use a toothpaste that contains fluoride -- a mineral that helps prevent tooth decay -- and floss your teeth once a day to remove bacteria and food particles between teeth that toothbrush bristles can't reach.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AJonathan B. Levine, DMD, Dentist, answered

Plaque can damage your teeth faster than you probably realize. In this video, dentist and prosthodontist Jonathan Levine, DMD, explains how to protect yourself.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ADiana Blythe, MD, Pediatrics, answered on behalf of Pediatric Associates
    If you can brush your teeth after each meal or snack that would be fantastic, but often is not realistic. At the very least, brush your teeth twice daily for two minutes and floss with the night brushing.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • The American Dental Association recommends for the average person brushing your teeth twice a day, and flossing once a day.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ADante Gonzales, DMD, Dentist, answered
    You should brush your teeth at least twice per day and use a fluoride toothpaste. The fluoride in the toothpaste will help reminerlize your teeth and help prevent tooth decay. In addition, you should floss once per day to clean the areas between the teeth where the toothbrush cannot reach.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How should I brush my teeth?