Question

Healthy Oral Hygiene

What type of toothbrush should I use?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    What type of toothbrush should I use?

With so many toothbrushes on the market it can be difficult to pick the best one. In this video, dentist and Dr. Oz Show guest Jonathan B. Levine explains the best electric and standard options.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    Use either a manual or an electric toothbrush. Both can clean your teeth effectively if used correctly. If you want a regular manual toothbrush, buy one that's got an American Dental Association (ADA) seal of approval. Many dentists recommend a brush with a soft bristle, which is less likely to irritate your gums. Make sure your toothbrush is comfortable for you. Replace toothbrushes every three or four months. If you are using an electric toothbrush, you can usually replace the brush head itself without having to buy a new toothbrush.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • Whether you brush your teeth manually or use a power-operated toothbrush, the most important thing about brushing your teeth is that you do it! You should be brushing your teeth for two minutes twice a day along with flossing daily. If you have trouble with dexterity, you may find that using a power-operated toothpaste works better for your mouth. 
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AJonathan B. Levine, DMD, Dentist, answered
    What type of toothbrush should I use?

When it comes to the toothbrush you choose, paying attention to a few details will get you the best protection for your teeth. In this video, dentist and prosthodontist Jonathan Levine, DMD, describes what to look for.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ACarol Jahn, Dentist, answered
    The type of toothbrush you use depends on both your oral health status and your preferences. Powered, including sonic toothbrushes have been shown to be safe and in general, remove more plaque than a manual brush. So, if plaque removal is problem, a powered brush is a good option. One of the most important things about brushing is length of time. Conventional wisdom shows that 2 minutes is the right amount of time for most people to do a good job at plaque removal. The advantage of sonic toothbrushes is that most have a 2 minute timer along with a 30 second interval alert to change quadrants.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AR. Tom Glass, DDS, Dentist, answered
    As the dentist who has studied and published his findings on the toothbrush, I can tell you what qualities the best toothbrush should have. It should be a manual toothbrush. The head should be clear and have no more than 3 rows of bristles. The bristles should be soft and rounded on the ends. Most importantly, the toothbrush should not be stored in the bathroom! Rather, it should be stored in the open air; preferably on a window sill where the sun inhabits bacterial growth. Finally, because the toothbrush reaches its maximum germ contamination level and more than 50% of the bristles become sharp and jagged, any toothbrush should be changed every 2 weeks. Remember that the role of the toothbrush is to reduce the number of germs in the mouth, not increase them. 
What's the minimum amount of time I should brush my teeth?