Question

Healthy Nails

How can I protect my nails to keep them healthy?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    The best way to protect nails and keep them healthy is not to do too much to them. Keep them trimmed to a length of just beyond the tips of your fingers and toes. Avoid using polish removers more than once a week. Wear gloves when doing chores or tasks that could expose your nails to breakage or harsh chemicals. Don’t use your nails as tools, and don’t pick or bite your nails or the skin around them. Applying olive oil, petroleum jelly, or hand creams before going to bed at night will help keep your nails hydrated and less likely to split. 
What is a home remedy for thick toenails?