Question

Healthy Habits

What are some simple things I can do to improve my health?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    Dr. Mike Roizen - 7 Ways to Live Younger

You can improve your health and feel younger by following a few simple guidelines, says RealAge's Dr. Mike Roizen. Use the tips in this video to transform your body and ward off chronic diseases.

• AUCLA Health answered
    There are 10 ways you can improve your health as you age:
    1. Eat a well-balanced diet low in saturated fats.
    2. The more you move your limbs, the better. Walking for 20 minutes five days a week can help reduce your risk of developing numerous diseases.
    3. Maintain a healthy weight. If you have a lot of weight to lose, set a reasonable goal of 5% of your body weight to start.
    4. Use your mind. Instead of watching television, read a good book for an hour.
    5. Stay positive! Even if you have had a difficult year or suffered the loss of a loved one, try to focus on the positives. Remember all of your many blessings -- your friends, family, health and independence. Positive thinking benefits your overall health.
    6. Socialize with family and friends. Open a Facebook account and get reacquainted with your old grammar- or high-school buddies. Attend free concerts or join a book club, temple or church.
    7. Listen to classical music. Studies show it reduces stress, anxiety and tension.
    8. Establish a relationship with a primary care provider. Whether you see a geriatrician, internal medicine specialist or family medicine doctor, it’s important to have a primary care provider who can help you to stay healthy via preventive medicine or regain your health during an illness.
    9. Make sure to get enough sleep. Getting adequate sleep can increase your life expectancy.
    10. Enjoy life and seize the day! Do something you love. There is no time like the present to accomplish your goals.
When should I seek help to quit an unhealthy habit?