Staying healthy as we age depends on a number of factors. Finding happiness and staying vital is dependent not only on physical factors but also on our mental, emotional, and spiritual health. The old axiom of “Use it or lose it” is especially true for both our bodies and our brains as we age. Here are the key strategies that provide the best hope for staying healthy as we age:
- Exercise at least three to five times per week for at least 30 minutes each time.
- Stimulate your brain through a variety of regular creative activities.
- Eat three meals per day plus two light snacks.
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
- Spend your time and energy with those important to you.
- Cultivate relationships with those who bring positive energy into your life.
- Practice preventive maintenance by making regular visits to your doctor.
- Use strength training twice a week to maintain muscle mass and function.
- Find a purpose in life so that you look forward to getting up each day.