Question

Healthy Habits

How can I create a relaxing home environment?

• AVonda Wright, MD, Orthopedic Surgery, answered
    While we can't always get away to the white sand beaches and relax, we can create a bit of sanctuary right in our own homes to soothe our senses and melt away stress. Environmental psychologists studying sensory science believe that the environment you create can have a profound impact on your mood and attitude. The following are ways to turn your home into your sanctuary:
    • Make your space touchable with corduroy and fleece. In studies, these fabrics made subjects feel content.
    • De-clutter your open spaces. Chaos makes you anxious, so the more you organize your space, the calmer you will feel. Literally, out of sight is out of mind.
    • Green up with plants and views outside to lower your blood pressure.
    • Use jasmine, hyacinth, cinnamon, and peppermint scents to lower stress and boost your mood.
    • Fill the room with music. Your ears know the difference between noise and sound.
    • Make your room roomy. Use mirrors, minimize furniture, and light the ceiling to expand the feel of your room.
    How can I improve my focus and concentration?