Question

Healthy Foods & Cooking

What healthy spices should I keep in my pantry?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Healthy Spices in the Pantry
    What you keep in your pantry determines how you cook for your family. Dr. Oz reveals what spices he recommends for your pantry in this video.

Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
  • AJudy Caplan, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
    Look at the foods you make most often and keep those needed spices on hand; cinnamon, cloves, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and black pepper are good places to start. Cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes are great for chili, Mexican food, and to add punch to Asian dishes. Dried ginger, basil, and turmeric are also good to have on hand. Spices can make a dull dish come to life.
  • ALucette Talamas, RD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Baptist Health South Florida
    Here’s another reason to season! Since dried herbs and spices come from plants or plant parts, they contain antioxidants and other health-promoting properties that make them a healthy addition to any meal. Here are the dos and don’ts when choosing dried herbs and spices to keep in your pantry:

DO check the Ingredient List before purchasing your dried herbs and spices while at the grocery store.  Make sure ingredients listed include the herbs/spices that you want and not salt or sodium additives. 

Don’t add more salt during cooking process if the dried herbs and spice mix already contains sodium.

Do enjoy the flavors and aromas from a variety of dried herbs and spices such as basil, cilantro, cumin, cinnamon, curry, dill, garlic, ginger, mint, onion, oregano, paprika, parsley, rosemary, thyme, turmeric.

Don’t be afraid – experiment with the different dried herbs and spices when cooking to see which you and your family may enjoy.

Do cut back on sodium but don’t cut back on flavor by included dried herbs and spices to your dishes.

Don’t use spicy hot spices if you have a gastrointestinal condition that may spark up symptoms if you eat spicy food. 
What essential oils can I use to help improve my health?