Below are food safety tips to keep in mind when shopping for fresh fruits and vegetables:
- If you go to a farmers market, go early to avoid produce that has been sitting out all day long.
- Buy most produce in season when possible.
- If you are not satisfied with the store's selection, ask the produce manager if there is more available.
- Buy loose produce rather than packaged so you have more control over what you select.
- Don't purchase produce with mold, bruises or cuts.
- Buy only the amount of produce that you will use within a week.
- Buy only pasteurized juices.
More Answers from Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics