A Answers (3)
Janis Jibrin, MS, RD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answeredTrout or salmon are great options when eating out, in addition to sweet potatoes, brown rice and most vegetable dishes. In this video Janis Jibrin, MS, RD, lead nutritionist at thebestlife.com, discusses how she orders at restaurants.
Lisa Lillien, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
Restaurants are packed with unhealthy temptations. In this video, "Hungry Girl" author Lisa Lillien reveals how to enjoy a healthy meal out.
Intermountain Healthcare answered
To make healthy choices at a restaurant, it helps to know a few cooking terms. These are clues about ingredients and preparation methods that can help you make better selections from the menu.
Choose foods that are described as:
- In its own juice
- Garden fresh
- Dry broiled (in lemon juice or butter)
Avoid foods that are described as:
- Buttery, buttered, in butter sauces
- Creamed, in cream sauce, in its own gravy, hollandaise
- Au gratin, Parmesan, in cheese sauce, scalloped
- Sautéed, fried, pan-fried, crispy, braised
- Breaded, stuffed
- Casserole, prime, hash, pot pie
- Marinated (in oil), basted in butter or gravy, in brine