Question

Health Value Of Foods

What healthy frozen food choices are there?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    2 127 4  Frozen Foods Smackdown
    There are plenty of healthy frozen foods out there - some are even proven to be healthier than nonfrozen foods. In this video,  Dr. Oz quizzes his audience on some common food-label pitfalls.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • APaula Greer, Midwifery Nursing, answered

Offseason fruits and vegetables can be quite expensive, Frozen fruits and vegetables with nothing added maintain their nutritional value and provide a great way to get nutrients offseason. My favorite frozen food is the food I make myself to have healthy food available to take on my long calls to the hospital. Cooking extra at meals can allow you to make your own frozen dinners to go and give you healthy options when time is short. Baked goods freeze well and can be frozen in individual portion sizes so you can take healthy brownies, cookies, muffins and cakes to work as well. This is a great tip to avoid the unhealthy snacks that appear at work. If you don’t have time to make your own dinners or snacks you can also find more healthy options in the frozen food section than ever. That said, you must learn to read the labels and make sure these foods don’t include the felons of sugars, fats , bleached and enriched flours and also beware of the sodium content.

• AMarisa Moore, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

There are plenty of healthy frozen food options available in your grocer’s freezer.   

• Frozen fruit is a perfect addition to a morning smoothie or yogurt. Choose those without added sugar, syrups which add additional calories.
    • Frozen vegetables are nutritious and convenient. Choose those without added sauces and seasonings. Go plain and add your own flavor.
    • Increasingly, specialty and health food markets are producing healthy frozen food entrees that are free of additives and preservatives. You can find frozen whole grain pasta dishes, burritos, stir-fry mixes, exotic vegetable blends and much more. Just check out the ingredient list and nutrition facts to see how it fares.
    • There are also plenty of light frozen entrees suitable for lunch. These are portion and calorie controlled which works well for those watching their weight. Be mindful that the sodium level can be quite high though. Be sure to balance the day with plenty of fresh, lower sodium choices throughout the day.

And why not make your own? Prepare extra servings of meals that freeze well like pasta dishes, casseroles, soups and stews. Store them in freezer safe containers. This way you can stock your own homemade frozen entrees to enjoy later. 

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What should I eat to stay healthy?