Question

Health Value Of Foods

Is eating liver good for me?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Of all the organs in the gut, there aren't a whole lot that are actually turned to food. There's really no such thing as a stomach sandwich or cream of intestines soup or moo goo gai pancreas.

But there's one-the liver-that is. Not our own livers, mind you. But rather the livers of birds and mammals, which serve the basis for all kinds of internationally popular foods. There's liver and onions, not to mention liver pâté, foie gras, liver sashimi, Leberwurst, and chopped liver.

Why am I telling you this? It's not because I'm suggesting that you haven't lived until you've loved liver. While liver is actually a good source of nutrients, it has too many toxins for me to recommend (there's a sewer's amount of toxins in one ounce of foie gras).

Why? Because the chemicals that the liver can't transform, it stores as your toxic waste dump. Those bad PCBs that the cow munched or bird pecked on? They're stored in the liver, as is some of virtually every other toxin those animals were ever exposed to.
  • ASharine Forbes, Gerontology, answered
    Eating liver is good for a variety of reasons, for example, a serving of about 3oz contains almost 550% of the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin A. Additionally, it is rich in B vitamins, vitamin D and Iron. Essentially, eating 3oz of meat can prove to be very beneficial for people of all ages. People who suffer from anemia are often told to eat liver in order to increase the amount of Iron present in their body. 
Are roasted nuts just as healthy as raw nuts?