Question

Health & Pregnancy

How often should I see my doctor or midwife when I'm pregnant?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Your doctors, nurses, midwives, and other supporters are there to help guide you, to help steer you in a different direction if need be, and to keep the big picture in mind. I want you to understand what they do and that it is perfectly, absolutely, undeniably a-okay for you to call if and when you need their guidance.

Ideally, you should have a pre-conceptual visit with your provider to make sure you are in optimal health before becoming pregnant. But don't worry if you discover you are pregnant before having a chance to meet with your doctor or midwife; these conversations and tests will occur during your first prenatal visit.

Most women's first prenatal visit occurs between 6 and 8 weeks after the first day of their last menstrual period. As long as your pregnancy is considered low risk and is progressing normally, you will visit your doctor monthly for the first 28 weeks, then every 2 weeks until 36 weeks, and weekly thereafter. If you go beyond 40 weeks, your doctor will want to see you once or twice a week until you give birth.
  • AHealthyWomen answered
    During pregnancy, you should see your doctor or midwife every four to five weeks until 28 weeks, every two to three weeks from 28 to 36 weeks, and then weekly until you're ready to deliver. Of course, if you have any complications or if your pregnancy is high risk, you'll likely see your healthcare provider more often.
Is it safe to fly if I'm pregnant?