Question

Healthcare Reform

Under healthcare reform, am I fined if I don't have health insurance?

• AJoane Goodroe, Nursing, answered

According to the Affordable Care Act starting in 2014, with certain exemptions, every person in America will be required to have health insurance coverage or face a penalty. The penalty will be $95 in 2014, $325 in 2015, and $695 or up to 2.5 percent of your income in 2016 and beyond.

The primary exemptions are:

• If your income is below the poverty level, you will not be penalized for not having insurance.
    • If insurance would cost you more than 8% of your income, you will not be penalized for not having insurance.
    • If you are eligible for other hardship exemptions that may be established by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, you will not be penalized for not having insurance.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Does healthcare reform create a public option for buying health insurance?