Question

Healthcare Basics

Why do people avoid going to the doctor?

• ARobin Miller, MD, Integrative Medicine, answered
    Dr. Robin Miller - Why do people avoid going to the doctor?
    Men have historically avoided going to the doctor when they are sick, but women are now doing the same. In this video, Dr. Robin Miller explains why this is happening.

• ASteven Lamm, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

Statistically, men are less likely to seek a doctor's care for health problems, to "soldier on" past health disruptions even when it's clearly not in their best interest to do so. This can often mean that we don't seek help for a problem early enough to effectively treat it. But most men under the age of 75 do sit up and take notice when their sexual health is at stake. 

It's not just the psychological makeup of men that creates this gender bias against preventative healthcare. It's also the way our healthcare system is set up. As children, most American girls and boys see a pediatrician regularly until around age 18. Then young women typically transition to an obstetrician/gynecologist for continuing regular care. 

But men often drop out of the system, seeking care only when faced with acute illness or injury, until they reach an age when health issues force them back into the system...or a concerned spouse or significant other does.

How can I organize my important documents including health records?