Prenatal genetic counselors are healthcare professionals who are specially trained and certified to give you information about the possibility of genetic concerns in your pregnancy. Genetic counselors can help you make sense of what can sometimes be complex and confusing medical and scientific information and help you make personal decisions about your pregnancy, child care and genetic testing options.
Genetic counselors provide the following services:
- Review you and your partner's genetic risks based on family histories, blood tests and ultrasound
- Discuss the pros and cons of your prenatal testing options, including those for Down syndrome
- Provide information on genetic conditions, including their common features, inheritance and prognosis
- Assist with referrals to support groups and specialized healthcare providers
- Advocate for individuals and families with or at risk for genetic conditions or birth defects