Question

Healthcare Basics

How do I find a good internal medicine doctor in my area?

• AJohn J. Connolly, Healthcare Insurance & Policy, answered

An important consideration in finding a good internist is “why”?

For example, is it to fill the role of a primary care physician or is it for a specialist in one of the sub-specialties of internal medicine such as cardiology, oncology, rheumatology, geriatrics or one of the other sub-specialties. In all cases, you should be certain the physician is board certified, has a clean disciplinary history and is on the staff of an excellent hospital in your area. You can check board certification here https://www.certificationmatters.org/is-your-doctor-board-certified/search-now.aspx and disciplinary history here http://www.castleconnolly.com/ddi/index.cfm

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • APeter Mattar, MD, Family Medicine, answered on behalf of MDLIVE
    I believe that the best way to find a good internal medicine doctor is to first see which providers are available to you in your area who are covered by your insurance.  I would look for information about the physician on the clinic's web page or call the clinic to obtain the physician's biography.  I do not recommend reading on-line review sites as these are usually biased and inaccurate.  Proximity to your home or work may be an important factor in choosing a doctor.  I recommend making an appointment with a local doctor who has an attractive biography and decide for yourself if you trust that provider to take care of your medical needs.
  • AStuart Linder, MD, Plastic/reconstructive Surgery, answered
    Finding a good internal medicine doctor requires diligent work. First, ask friends and family for referrals of their internists. Make sure the doctor is board-certified with the Internal Medicine board. Check out their hospital affiliations and office hours. Should you need a specialist (cardiologist, neurologist, etc.), make sure you check out their specialty training. 
How should I choose a cardiologist?