- Depilatories. These are chemicals that dissolve hair, which you then wipe away.
- Laser hair removal. This approach uses heat to destroy hair follicles.
- Waxing, threading, and sugaring. These methods pull hairs out of the follicles.
- Electrolysis. This method uses shortwave radio frequency to destroy the hair follicle.
- Needle and tweezer epilators. With needle epilators, an electric current is sent via a thin wire into the hair follicle to destroy the hair root. The hair is pulled out with tweezers. With tweezer epilators, an electric current is applied via the tip of a tweezer.
A Answers (2)
Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answeredIf you're a woman, you can get rid of unwanted facial hair in a variety of ways, including:Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Doris Day, MD, Dermatology, answeredOne method that gives lasting results is electrolysis. It is considered permanent, but maintenance treatments are usually required over time. The procedure has been around for over 100 years and works by damaging hair follicles with tiny jolts of electricity. Electrolysis should be done by a certified practitioner. The drawback is that there is some risk of discoloration and scarring, and multiple treatments are necessary. Electrolysis is also painful and not all the hair can be addressed at every session. This is probably the best option for people with just a few hairs or who have white or blonde hair.
Laser hair removal is a quick and long lasting method, although not necessarily permanent even though the FDA has approved laser treatments as permanent. However, the hair that regrows is finer and softer and it grows much more slowly than before the treatments. There is only mild discomfort. Laser hair removal is only performed by dermatologists. Imagine waking up every morning with a smooth, hair-free complexion! For that matter, imagine feeling free to kiss the person you love any time of day or night without worrying about stubble.