Question

Hair Loss

Why am I losing all of my body hair?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    If you are losing all of your body hair, you need to consult your doctor. Loss of body hair can signal a serious underlying medical condition. For example, the autoimmune disease lupus sometimes causes loss of hair from the head, face, and/or body. You could also have alopecia universalis, an autoimmune condition that causes total loss of body hair. Hormone problems and use of certain medications can also cause body hair loss in some people. For an accurate diagnosis, make an appointment with your doctor.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • This is a difficult question to answer. There are no clear answers to causes of hair loss. The most widely accepted cause is autoimmune, which means your body attacks itself. The thyroid, a gland in the neck, can sometimes cause hair loss if not working correctly. Some people have associated major life events such as pregnancy, with hair loss. But no good studies support this. And of course some degree of hair loss is normal as you age.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Can a vegetarian diet cause hair loss?