Question

Gynecology

How can I treat my vaginal dryness?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    A variety of lubricants -- oil-, water-, and silicone-based -- effectively combat vaginal dryness. Talk to your gynecologist to see what brand she recommends. Saliva also works well as a lubricant and can enhance foreplay. 
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AElizabeth Poynor, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered
    How is vaginal dryness treated?

Vaginal dryness can be treated with over-the-counter topical lubricants and\/or vaginal moisturizers. A doctor may also prescribe a topical estrogen cream to treat vaginal dryness, says Elizabeth Poynor, MD, PhD, a gynecologist-oncologist in New York.

• AHenry Lodge, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    Vaginal dryness and pain during sex are obstacles, but ones your doctor can almost always help you with. Vaginal moisturizers like Replens and good lubricants like Astroglide work very well; if that’s not enough, estrogen therapy, either in pill or cream form, is a good option for many women.
  • ACeleste Robb-Nicholson, Internal Medicine, answered
    Two types of products -- lubricants and moisturizers -- can relieve vaginal dryness and itching. They can also make sexual intercourse (which in itself can stimulate natural lubrication) more comfortable. Lubricants, like Astroglide and K-Y Sensual Silk, are water-based and potential hydrogen (pH) neutral. They approximate the feel of vaginal secretions and provide temporary relief. Moisturizers, like K-Y Liquibeads and Replens, cling to the cells lining the vaginal wall for longer-lasting effectiveness. At least one clinical study has documented that Replens, like estrogen cream, increases the thickness of the vaginal lining.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AJennifer Ashton, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered
    Dr. Jennifer Ashton - How can I treat my vaginal dryness?

Watch as Obstetrician and gynecologist Dr. Jennifer Ashton discusses how a woman can treat her vaginal dryness.

• AHarry Fisch, MD, Urology, answered
    Although estrogen in a variety of forms can help ease vaginal dryness, many women would rather avoid hormone-based treatments. By far the easiest solution to vaginal dryness is the use of a high-quality lubricant, both for sex and simply to ease day-to-day dryness. For daily non-sex-related dryness, apply a small amount of lubricant to the outside or inside parts of the vagina to increase comfort. For use during sex, try gently massaging a drop of gel onto the clitoris and/or vulva. The male partner can use the lubricant as well, which is especially helpful if he is using a condom. Use as much or as little as needed to achieve pleasurable, sensual intercourse.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ARealAge answered

There’s no reason to let your sex life fizzle. Use vaginal lubricants or moisturizers to ease the dryness caused by estrogen’s disappearing act, or ask your gynecologist about an estrogen ring or cream.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

What causes burning and swelling of the vulva?