Many women who have vulvodynia will develop personal strategies that help to control the pain. Here are some tips for everyday living:
- Wear 100% cotton underwear during the day and wear nothing at night and avoid using panty liners or wearing pantyhose.
- Don't use harsh soaps or douche but instead cleanse with natural emollients such as olive oil and sweet almond oil or just plain water.
- Use non-propylene glycol lubricants during intercourse to improve elasticity of tissue.
- Dab the vulva with cool water after urinating.
- Apply cool ice or gel packs before engaging in a triggering activity.
- Eat a low-oxalate diet (also prevents kidney stones) to reduce the calcium oxalate crystals in urine that might irritate vulvar tissue.
- Use a soft doughnut-shaped pillow if you need to sit for a long time.