Question

Gynecology

How long does it take to recover from a hysterectomy?

• Recovering from a hysterectomy takes time. Most women stay in the hospital from 1 to 2 days for post-surgery care. Some women may stay longer, often when the hysterectomy is done because of cancer.

The time it takes for you to resume normal activities depends on the type of surgery. If you had:

Abdominal surgery. Recovery takes from 4 to 6 weeks. You will gradually be able to increase your activities. Vaginal or laparoscopic surgery. Recovery takes 3 to 4 weeks.

You should get plenty of rest and not lift heavy objects for a full 6 weeks after surgery. About 6 weeks after either surgery, you should be able to take tub baths and resume sexual intercourse. Research has found that women with a good sex life before hysterectomy can maintain it after the surgery.

This answer is based on source information from National Women's Health Information Center.

• ALauren Streicher, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered
    Today, most women are candidates for an outpatient laparoscopic or robotic procedure. My patients generally go home within hours of surgery with 3 or 4 tiny bandages on their belly. Many women express concern that such a quick discharge is not only inhumane, but also potentially dangerous. Be assured that hospitals that routinely discharge women hours after hysterectomy have strict protocols in place to make sure that it is safe to do so. Far from being cruel, most women who are eligible prefer going home hours after surgery knowing they will be far more comfortable in their own beds, eating their own food, and peeing in the privacy of their own bathrooms.

The majority of my patients report that they feel “like nothing happened” within two weeks or less after the day of surgery.
  • AKevin Windom, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered

The recovery time from a hysterectomy depends on how the hysterectomy was performed as well as how well a patient deals with postoperative pain. I tell my patients that if they are having a total abdominal hysterectomy that this could be a good 5-6 week recovery. If they are having a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy, 3-4 week recovery. If they are having a vaginal hysterectomy, 3 week recovery. If they are having a laparoscopic or single-incision laparoscopic hysterectomy, probably a 1-2 week recovery.

What should I do if I am told that I need a hysterectomy?