Question

Good Fats

What are some sources of good monounsaturated fat?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Some foods that contain monounsaturated fats include:
    • olive oil
    • canola oil
    • sunflower oil
    • high-oleic safflower oil
    • nuts
    • avocados
    Eating monounsaturated fats in place of saturated fats and trans fats may lower your cholesterol, which is why "monos" are often called good fats. (Fatty meats and full-fat dairy foods are top sources of saturated fats; trans fats are found in some fried foods and packaged snack foods such as cookies and crackers.) Because of their beneficial effect on cholesterol, monounsaturated fats appear to promote heart health when eaten in moderation.
  • AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

Olives and olive oil are a key source of monounsaturated fats. Avocados are another food rich in monounsaturated fats and high in fiber and potassium. Avocados are also one of the few dietary sources of vitamin E. If you wish to eat fat, an avocado is a good choice. Remember that one avocado can be as much as one third of your daily fat allowance, with nearly 20 grams of fat in each. For you aficionados, Florida avocados, although not as creamy tasting as California avocados, contain significantly less fat.

• AJanis Jibrin, MS, RD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of The Best Life
    Sources of monounsaturated fatty acids include: Olive oil and canola oil, which are loaded with monounsaturated fats, so make these your staple oils. Other mono-rich foods include avocados, almonds, cashews, peanuts, and sesame seeds.
Which fats should I include in my diet?