Question

Gastric Bypass Surgery (Roux-en-Y)

How much weight can I expect to lose after bariatric surgery?

• Weight loss after bariatric surgery varies from person to person. Typically, you'll lose weight quickly after the first few months and then the pounds will come off more slowly. It usually takes about 12 to 18 months to achieve maximum weight loss, the typical amount being 60 to 70 percent of excess body weight. The amount you lose will vary based on your dietary and daily exercise habits.

You can expect some or all of your obesity-related medical problems to improve as you lose weight. Some patients are even able to discontinue their medications for diabetes and high blood pressure shortly after surgery.

• Weight loss from bariatric surgery varies widely, depending on many factors, such as the patient’s age, starting weight, ability to exercise, and the type of operation used. On average, patients lose one-half to two-thirds of their initial excess weight at the end of one year. Initially heavier patients tend to lose more actual pounds, but lighter patient are more likely to come closer to their ideal weight. The average patient in our program loses 70% of their excess weight, and over 95% of the patients lose at least half of their excess body weight with gastric bypass. Lap-band patients average 50% of their excess weight, although 70% of excess weight-loss is possible depending on patients' motivation.
How should I follow up with my doctor after bariatric surgery?