Question

Gastric Bypass Surgery (Roux-en-Y)

Can weight loss (bariatric) surgery be reversed?

• AJulia Havey, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered

In the 17 years that I have helping people lose weight, I can tell you that literally hundreds of desperate souls reach out to me for help because they managed to regain what weight they lost after having gastric bypass surgery!

One woman regained 175 lbs. when she realized she could eat cotton candy in unlimited quantity without experiencing 'dumping syndrome'.

I question did she need gastric bypass or did she need to bypass cotton candy?!

• Surgery for weight loss can be reversed, but reversal procedures are usually more dangerous than the original ones. We would only consider reversing these operations in patients who have significant long-term problems from the surgery. It is important to note that anyone who has the operation reversed will regain the weight they lost after the first surgery.
  • ACharan Donkor, MD, General Surgery, answered on behalf of Baptist Health South Florida
    Bariatric surgeries are potentially reversible. But the reversal operations carry the same or greater risks than the original procedure.

Reversal operations are rare. They may be considered when very serious and long-term complications arise from the first operation.

Lap-Band procedures are more easily reversed. Reversal of the gastric bypass procedure is rarely needed and is considered too risky by most physicians. Patients need to know that if they decide to reverse the surgery, they will likely regain the weight that they lost from the original surgery.
  • ARupa Seetharamaiah, MD, General Surgery, answered on behalf of Baptist Health South Florida
    Bariatric surgeries are potentially reversible. However, reversal operations carry the same or greater risks as the original procedure. 

Lap-Band procedures are more easily reversed. Reversal of the gastric bypass procedure is rarely needed and is considered too risky by most physicians. Remember, if you decide to reverse the surgery, you likely will regain the weight you have lost from the original procedure.

How often will I see the doctor after my weight loss (bariatric) surgery?