Question

Foot-Related Sports Injuries

Should I talk to my doctor about my foot related sports injury symptoms?

• Minor foot related sports injury symptoms may not require a doctor's care. If the foot can be treated through RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation) and no additional symptoms persist, you probably do not have to see a doctor. However, if the pain continues, worsens, or additional symptoms appear, you should seek medical attention.

• AJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer, Athletic Training, answered

An injury should be seen by your doctor if:

• You are limping or changing the way you walk in anyway
    • Symptoms such as swelling, bruising, redness, sensitivity changes don't resolve themselves with a couple days of rest and compression
    • If you have sharp pain that may indicate a broken bone
    • OR if you have any concerns about the injury

When foot injuries go untreated, it does lead to the possibility of further injury such as knee pain or back pain and then you will have to recover from two injuries instead of one. It is important to keep swelling to a minimum in order to decrease pain and maintain normal motion. Also, it is important to maintain a normal gait or the way that you walk, to keep the whole body working properly and not overstress other areas.

How are foot related sports injuries diagnosed?