Question

Foot Skin and Nail Care

How does athlete's foot affect the body?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Athlete's foot, a common fungal infection, can make your skin red, itchy and uncomfortable. Athlete's foot usually occurs in moist areas between the toes, and can also cause blisters and cracked skin. Left untreated, the fungus can spread to other parts of your body, such as other areas of the skin or the crotch (where it's known as jock itch). Although the fungus that causes athlete's foot rarely leads to serious illness, people with compromised immune systems -- such as those who are HIV-positive or have AIDS -- may develop serious infections beneath the skin. Talk to your primary care doctor or dermatologist about ways to prevent athlete's foot.     
  • Athlete's foot is a fungal infection that affects the feet. Its symptoms can cause discomfort, such as itching, burning, or stinging in between the toes. In some cases athlete's foot symptoms can be painful, such as when blisters develop or the skin cracks. Cracked skin could lead to a bacterial infection.

What do I do if I get athlete's foot?