Question

Food Production & Health

What is pink slime?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    Pink slime is semiliquefied scrap meat or trimmings. To ensure this slurry, which the food industry calls "lean, finely textured beef," isn't loaded with nasty bacteria, it's treated with ammonium hydroxide (the same cleaning agent in window cleaner). The spritz of gas is "generally recognized as safe" (a phrase also known as GRAS) by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), but the National Institutes of Health has a Web page on ammonium hydroxide poisoning. Go figure.

Pink slime was developed as an addition to pet food, but about 70% of ground beef sold in the U.S. at one time had it mixed in. Luckily, public outrage was enough to get most American grocery stores to stop that practice (at least temporarily). McDonald's, Burger King, and Taco Bell have stopped using the filler, as have many public school systems.
What should I know before I try food additives?