Question

Food Poisoning

What are the symptoms of food borne illnesses?

• AMichael T. Murray, Naturopathic Medicine, answered

The microbe or toxin causing food borne illness enters the body through the gastrointestinal tract and often causes the first symptoms there, so nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea are common symptoms. While most cases of food borne illness are mild, you should consult a physician immediately if you experience any of the following:

• Temperature over 101.5 degrees F., measured orally
    • Blood in stools
    • Prolonged vomiting that prevents keeping liquids down, which can lead to dehydration
    • Signs of dehydration, including decrease in urination, dry mouth and throat, and feeling dizzy when standing up
    • Diarrheal illness that lasts more than three days

Find out more about this book:

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
    Buy book
  • ADoreen Rodo, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered

Different types of organisms cause a variety of symptoms such as:

diarrhea, vomiting, fever, headache, burning or tingling in the throat; reddening of the face and neck; reversal of hot and cold sensations: tingling in fingers, lips or toes; joint and muscle pain; numbness, dizziness, disorientation, memory loss, seizures and jaundice.

How will I know if I have contracted a food-borne illness?