Question

Food Allergies Treatment

What foods can be reintroduced after an elimination diet?

• AJudith Mabel, RD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered

All foods can be introduced after an elimination diet. The important thing is to add them one at a time so that you will know which food is causing a symptom that might come back. So if your migraine headaches went away during an elimination diet and they come back when you eat a certain food, then you know what the culprit is.

• ABill Salt, MD, Gastroenterology, answered
    The following are some suggestions for food reintroduction after an elimination diet:
    • Milk: Milk should be reintroduced as skim milk, so there is no question about whether fat in milk is the problem. If skim milk can be consumed without symptoms, then the problem is clearly not related to milk in any way.
    • Wheat: Wheat can be eaten as a whole-wheat cereal and whole-wheat bread. Other grains, like barley, oats and corn, can be added.
    • Cooked versus raw: Cooked fruits and vegetables may be better tolerated initially than in uncooked form. Later, you can try them raw if they do not cause symptoms when cooked.
How can I treat my food allergy?