Question

Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

How can I protect my child from an allergic reaction to peanuts?

• The only way to prevent an allergic reaction to peanuts is to keep your child from eating or breathing in peanut protein. Read food labels carefully, and make sure your home doesn't have any products that contain peanuts. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires food products to be clearly labeled if it contains ingredients that commonly cause allergic reactions. If you eat at a restaurant, ask questions about ingredients and inform employees of your child's allergy. Make sure that your child's teachers, babysitters, and other family members or caregivers are aware of the peanut allergy, and also ensure that your child understands his or her peanut allergy. In case of accidental exposure, make sure that everyone knows the symptoms of an allergic reaction and how to administer emergency medications.

Can dogs detect peanuts for kids with peanut allergies?