Prior to starting any form of exercise, be sure to set a goal. If your goal is as simple as “I am going to start walking to get active and be healthy” then that is a wonderful goal! If we do not set ourselves up for success then we will fail.
Some tips and clothing suggestions:
- Start and walking log and walking calendar. These will allow you to log you steps/miles and track/monitor your progress
- Have comfortable walking shoes. You need something with support that will help prevent injury
- Breathable clothing. Dri-fit type attire is great. Try to avoid cotton materials as they will feel heavy.
- Stretch before and after
- Stay hydrated by drinking water throughout the day
- Eat well balanced meals to keep energy levels up