- Use a barrier between your hand and the wound. If readily available, put on disposable gloves and place a sterile dressing on the wound.
- Apply direct pressure for a few minutes to control any bleeding.
- Wash the wound thoroughly with soap and water. If possible, irrigate an abrasion for about five minutes with clean, warm, running tap water.
- Apply an antibiotic ointment to a minor wound if the person has no known allergies or sensitivities to the medication.
- Cover the wound with a sterile dressing and a bandage or with an adhesive bandage to keep the wound moist and prevent drying.
A Answers (1)
American Red Cross answeredTo care for a minor open wound, follow these general guidelines: