The following are first aid treatment guidelines for heatstroke:
- Remove person from heat whenever possible.
- Remove victim's clothing and place him or her in a cool bath up to the chin (if possible), or apply cool compresses to neck, armpits and groin.
- If victim becomes unresponsive and stops breathing, start cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Medical attention is always required.
- Do not ignore symptoms. If untreated, heat-related illnesses get worse.
- Do not wait to start cooling the victim.
- Do not give victim aspirin or any other medication to lower temperature.
- Do not give victim any stimulant, including alcohol and cigarettes.
- Do not apply ice directly to skin.
- Do not allow victim to become so cold that he or she shivers.
- Do not leave victim alone.
More Answers from Kathleen Handal, MD