A snake bite can hopefully be prevented by taking the following precautions:
- Wear long pants, long socks and sturdy shoes or boots.
- Keep an eye out for snakes or areas where snakes like to hide such as behind rocks, in holes and under steps or porches.
- Don't reach into any areas you cannot see such a hole, under piles of leafs or into shrubbery.
- Consider installing a snake fence around the perimeter of your yard.
- Clear away any brush, shrubbery or wild flowers in your yard. Trim plants around the bottom so you can see the ground.
- When at a park, don’t let your children wander into areas of brush or shrubbery, especially if you can't see the ground.
- Stay on the path while hiking.