Question

Fibromyalgia

Should I see a doctor about my fibromyalgia symptoms?

• If you suspect that you may have fibromyalgia, see a doctor soon. The symptoms of fibromyalgia can mimic those of other medical conditions, so getting an accurate diagnosis -- as well as early treatment -- is important. Your doctor will ask about your medical history and give you a thorough physical examination. If necessary, he or she will order certain tests. These steps allow a doctor to rule out the possibility that some other disease or illness may be causing your symptoms. If your doctor determines that you have fibromyalgia, he or she can prescribe treatments and strategies to help you cope with this condition.
  • ACeleste Cooper, Rheumatology, answered

If you suspect you have fibromyalgia, and your symptoms are interfering with your activites of daily living, it is time to see a doctor.

Other disorders can coexist more frequently with FM, and are treated differently than primary fibromyalgia in most cases.  It is importat to identify which of these comorbid conditions might be contributing to your symptoms.

You should list your symptoms or use the symptom checker such as the one found in our book to guide your healthcare provider in ordering the right tests.

All blogs, posts and answers are based on the work in Integrative Therapies for Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Myofascial Pain: The Mind-Body Connection by Celeste Cooper, RN, and Jeff Miller, PhD. 2010, Vermont: Healing Arts press and are not meant to replace medical advice.  http://www.thesethree.com

What is fibromyalgia?