Question

Fibromyalgia Symptoms

Is pain the main symptom of fibromyalgia?

• ACeleste Cooper, Rheumatology, answered

Muscle pain is the symptom that generally is complaint that fibromyalgia patients initially report to their doctor. However, the three primary symptoms of FM are:

1. Body-wide pain

2. Non-restful sleep, regardless of the number of hours

3. Cognitive decline

There are symptoms you may have, but they are not primary to fibromyalgia, instead, they can be related to an overlapping condition. So, be sure to discuss all your symptoms with your doctor, particularly if it is something new for you.

Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
  • ADawn Marcus, Neurology, answered
    Fibromyalgia is more than "just pain." For some people with fibromyalgia, other symptoms are just as, or more, disabling. For example:
    • Poor sleep affects four in five people with fibromyalgia, with poor sleep also linked to the increase of pain.
    • Half of those with fibromyalgia experience fibro fog, a term used for memory problems and confusion. These symptoms have been linked to more severe fibromyalgia pain, fatigue, and stiffness.
    • Two in three people with fibromyalgia experience problems with depression or anxiety.
    • Two in five people with fibromyalgia have problems with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or bloating.
    • Urinary problems, bladder and genital pain, and sexual dysfunction may also occur in fibromyalgia.
    • Pain, poor sleep, fatigue, and fibro fog are the most important symptoms people with fibromyalgia want to have treated.
Why should I discuss all my symptoms if my doctor diagnoses fibromyalgia?