Question

Living With Fibromyalgia

How can my partner and I best deal with my fibromyalgia together?

• Dealing with fibromyalgia is always a team effort for a couple when one person is living with the condition. You and your partner should be willing to talk openly about your fibromyalgia. You may need to adjust household roles and responsibilities to accommodate your fibromyalgia treatment, and your partner should be willing to discuss these changes and help put them into action. For example, your partner can help you commit to a new sleep schedule or bedtime routine that eases the symptoms of fibromyalgia. The two of you can attend support-group meetings together; these can be beneficial for people with fibromyalgia and their loved ones. Finally, enjoying moderate exercise together, such as an evening walk, and committing to eating healthy meals together are great ways to deal with fibromyalgia as a duo and will lead to healthier lives for both of you.
  • AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Communication is important in any relationship. When one partner has fibromyalgia or any chronic condition, maintaining open lines of communication becomes even more crucial. Just keep in mind that the information has to flow both ways. You must be able to tell your partner what you need and be candid about the limitations fibromyalgia imposes on you. Likewise, you need to be all ears when your partner expresses his or her frustration, depression, or anger about your condition. It won't always be easy, trust me. But openness and honesty are essential therapies when one partner has fibromyalgia.
  • ACeleste Cooper, Rheumatology, answered

You and your partner can best deal with fibromyalgia together by understanding that chronic illness creates financial burden, has a social impact, and can create psychological shock to both you and your partner. Your needs and desires do not differ.

Working together, keeping judgment at bay, and finding solutions that help both of you must always be the goal. Your plans for doing that may need to be changed, as fibromyalgia symptoms and flares can be unpredictable, so be flexible with one another.

Two roles to avoid are “the enabler” and the “victim.” Each of you should focus on what you CAN do, and keep the lines of communication open, while understanding that sometimes each of you may just need to talk about your day. Always keep in mind that some things cannot be fixed, accept what is, and always look forward.

See Real Age’s article on The Do’s and Don’ts of Fibromyalgia Caregiving athttp://www.realage.com/manage-fibromyalgia-pain/fibromyalgia-caregiver-dos-and-donts?click=main_sr

Answers are based on the writings/books of the author and are not meant to replace medical advice.

In healing and hope, Celeste Cooper, RN, author, pain patient/advocate

How do I manage my fibromyalgia pain?