Question

Living With Fibromyalgia

Is fibromyalgia considered a disability?

• ACeleste Cooper, Rheumatology, answered

To date fibromyalgia is not a qualifying disability in the “Listing of Impairments” for the Social Security Administration.

It is important to remain productive, it promotes self-esteem, and provides financial security, however, when one struggles daily, living to work, instead of working to live, it could be time for you to consider applying for disability benefits. Few employers are willing to accommodate frequent doctor appointments, sick days, or adjust your schedule to accommodate your physical needs.

You can read more about your rights in Chapter 7 “Approaching the System Systematically.” See the book link in my profile.

• AJacob Teitelbaum, Integrative Medicine, answered

Although it can vary in severity, it is considered as disabling as rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, kidney failure, and other severe illnesses.

How do I explain my fibromyalgia to my young children?